“GrantMeAdmission you got a 710, and you are retaking the GMAT? Are you crazy?!?!”
I’m sure that is what many of you are thinking. Let me [attempt to] explain myself and provide [what I believe are] legitimate reasons…
- Applying with my best – Don’t get me wrong, 710 is great score, but it’s not my best. (I know that I completely messed up my verbal; I bombed one entire RC section and momentarily lost my focus.) This year, I want to KNOW I gave it my very best, which is in tune with my general work philosophy… “leave it all out on the court.”
- Score Guarantee – There are a few GREAT websites out there that offer +50 point guarantees and work at your own pace plans. Magoosh, GMAT Pill, Economist, and Optimus Prep all offer guarantees (make sure you read the fine print!). I will be using The Economist’s GMAT Tutor to turn my 710 to a 760 (supplementing it with my Magoosh material and gmatclub tests).
- HUGE upside potential – A better chance of admission is not the only upside. Generally, those with higher GMAT’s get scholarship/fellowship money, better internship opportunities, and there is always a possibility for me to become a GMAT tutor with a high enough score. I would love to create a non-profit GMAT tutor start-up to help others get to their dreams.
- Making time is possible – With my ~45 hr week job, ~20 hr non-profit, ~10 hr side projects, ~5 hr networking investments, I can make the time. If someone can work 80-100 a week on Wall Street, I can find the time.
- I will not let myself make excuses – “Studying for the GMAT is terrible/difficult/hard” is a bulls*** excuse that I found myself internally thinking. Not okay this time around.
With a huge upside opportunity and no risk, the choice is clear to me to retake the GMAT.
I do want to emphasize that these are MY REASONS. Everyone’s profile is different; everyone’s abilities are different. However, I do believe the philosophy of getting into a great is the same for everyone – GIVE YOUR BEST. And I feel that a 710 is not mine.
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Other Posts you may be interested in: